Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Chase's 100 Movies/100 Scenes: 96 - Hellboy (2004)

ImageShack, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting, photo image hosting site, video hosting site

6 years ago feels like ancient times to me. that was a simpiler time of Half-Life 2 and high school. it was also a time when i was introduced to a filmmaker that still captivates my imagination. I'm of course speaking of Guillermo del Toro and his work on Hellboy. Like Spielberg I will be mentioning del Toro again, but early on I want to highlight Hellboy and why I love this film. Hellboy is based on the Dark Horse comic by Mike Mignola. The Film follows a demon who works for the United States government by eliminating and investigating paranormal activity. It is a fun, weird movie that even my mom loves. no seriously, I should it to her in 2006 and it became one of her favorites.

ImageShack, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting, photo image hosting site, video hosting site

the scene that really makes this film for me is at the very beginning when Hellboy is "born." The opener follows a platoon of US soldiers as they are sneaking on to an island that is swarming with Nazi scientists. apparently the Nazis are using the island to test a portal technology and unleash a god onto the world. the US soldiers stop the test, but not before a a demon baby escapes the portal. A scientist in the platoon takes in the demon and the soldiers affectionately call him Hellboy.

why this scene is so wonderful to me is that it appeals to my most nerdy sensibilities. You've got Nazis and demons and conspiracies and dudes with swords for hands! It is a wonderful mess. I understand I'm spending very little time on this film. Watch it, it is a wonderful film, but right now the concept of 100 films is getting to me. I really can not wait till I get to my top 25.

Hellboy trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment