Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful for...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Just thought I'd take this moment to say what I am thankful for.

I am always thankful to my family but every year it seems like I am more and more thankful to have them. My parents have been very supportive of me and I know it can't be easy. This year I decided to pull a fast one on them and accept a job in Spain. They were thrilled that I had this opportunity and have helped me in any way imaginable. I love them and appreciate them more than I can say.

I am also thankful for all the friends that I have back in the states that still somehow manage to keep in contact with me. I would be lying if I said that I do not get homesick but my conversations with them help keep me grounded...Especially with my nerdy/geeky friends 8P. I am pretty sure I am one of the bigger nerds in the country of Spain, definitely one of the biggest in Plasencia (the other runner ups I'm thinking of are in fact two other Americans). Nerds here are treated like aliens. People just stand back, stare at us and wonder whether they should run away from us, interact with us or poke us with a giant stick. Being able to log on to L4D2 or TF2 randomly with people or seeing a random twitter post from a fellow nerd is surprisingly refreshing. So thank you all, especially those on twitter I do not know but follow us anyway because they deem us worth following.

Finally, I am thankful not only for this teaching job in Spain but also the new friends I have made because of this. Without these new friends, life here would be more complicated. A couple have provided a place for me to stay while I was looking for a flat of my own. Another has become a great flatmate (watch out Tom, competition for best flatmate 8P ). Everyone helps with my Spanish and they are just so extraordinarily friendly. Also, they are so awesome that we all just finished a Thanksgiving dinner that we all prepared ourselves. Think about, we just had a successful Thanksgiving dinner in a country where Plymouth Rock has no meaning to them other than maybe a chapter in a world history book. Five of the people who attended are not even American and yet they still wanted to be involved. I get asked in class many times why I like Plasencia so much, out of everywhere in Spain I could have been, and a big reason for that is you guys. Thanks.

Well, thank you all for reading this. I am of course thankful to those who read this because I did not write this for nothing! 8P

The Thanksgiving holiday may be over for me (you know, time difference and all) but for others the Thanksgiving dinner is just beginning. Have a great meal and a great day with your families....And please, eat an extra slice of pecan pie for me....I miss pecan pie....

LLAP and geek out with pride,
Michael

1 comment:

  1. How neat! I love it when people are open minded and willing to learn about other people's customs. I'm glad you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving in Spain. It sounds like you have a good support system growing over there. :)

    Miss you! Take care of yourself, and I hope to hear from you again soon. *hugs*

    - Jo

    ReplyDelete